Friday, September 21, 2012

Portugal Training Camp - Part 2



Day 5

Halfway through the camp and its fair to say my legs are really feeling it now. It was a couple of easy runs today. The morning one was good, I am still working harder than I would do at home. But I didn’t feel the need to keep up with the front pack, settled into a good pace and had a good stretch with my own thoughts. The beach was lovely again. Later in the morning we had another strength and conditioning session with Phoebe. They are really useful as a recap and we added some variations to the exercises. Medicine balls and kettle-bells making the exercises that bit more challenging. All those circuits I’ve done over the years, and I wasn’t getting as much out of them as I could have done.

I’m making sure I try and stretch outside of the sessions, its something I really need to keep up when I get home. Its easy out here as all you’ve got to do is eat/train/sleep, but add back in the whirlwind of work/everyday life and things will get a bit tougher. Another short gentle run in the evening preceded a training seminar with Nick and Phoebe. I was amazed at how much I got out of it. Normally at these things the same three questions are asked, which if you ‘follow’ running you are generally aware of. However, I think due to the experience of the people both asking and answering, it was a treasure trove of detailed info and advice.

I’ve really been getting my nutrition so wrong! The 4pm flapjack monster comes along because I’ve not been eating correctly through the day. There’s a lot for me to mentally process here, to do with my emotional relationship with food, and its going to take some time to get right. It’s a scary thought when someone is telling you to eat more to lose weight! This week has made me realise how important nutrition and hydration are, especially when you are putting the miles in.

Also, I twigged that my evening runs on Mondays and Wednesdays should have been morning runs. Nick and Phoebe explained exactly why. That will teach me for reading the plan as I wanted to read it, not as written. My given myself a little slapped wrist. Added with the fact it would give me back two evenings a week, this could be nothing short of a small revolution. Does mean a few more early mornings though!

I think it’s getting to the information overload stage now. You get so eager to learn everything, and you realise how much you have got to learn!

Day 6

Hard Session day rolls round again, Track Work this time. I woke up stiff as a board in my hamstrings and hip flexors. The session was starting at 9.30am, so the sun was going to be up. The hotel has a track right next to it (Iucky lucky us) and we trooped down loaded with the extra water we were advised to bring. There was far more warming up than I normally do on my interval sessions, including the drill work we did the other day. Still, it only took 15 minutes or so, so I need to remember to do that. Apparently Nick always starts his Tuesday sessions with them. I think I’ll be using the Estuary Square more often or possibly even try and use Wavertree track.
The session was going to be longer and harder than any intervals I’d done before. 6 min tempo run followed by 3 min recovery then 5 x 300m with 100m/1min jog recovery, all done twice. The tempo run began and I tried to lock in on my Threshold pace, although instead of going for 6:30-6:50 as usual, I tried to do it by feel. The pace was quicker than normal but you couldn’t analyse it too much as the heat was such a big factor. There were one or two experienced people I knew were slightly quicker than me so I hung on to within earshot of them. Nick was shouting out lap times as we went round, I’ve always wanted to experience that. I would have made a little internal squee, but I was working hard enough already. I mentally made the calculation that it would be about 4 laps, that was good as it me some boundaries to work with. I heard my Garmin beep a mile and we weren’t yet finished. so I knew I’d done a sub 6 mile. I couldn’t believe it, I’ve never done that consciously before. I remember doing a mile test with Mo at LRC a couple of years ago. and clocking 6:29. It’s nice to internally acknowledge how far you’ve come at times. Everyone was performing great and working hard. The collective atmosphere was amazing. For the 300m reps, we set off together and then Nick grouped us by roughly equivalent finishing time at the end of the first interval. This was great as you knew you were running with people roughly the same speed. Off we went again, the group dynamic pushing everyone. Round and round we went, banging out times with surprisingly good consistency and also quick and quicker with each rep. By the time the fifth interval came round I was done in. The heat felt horrific and my legs wanted to drop off. Only we had to do it all again.

It was time to start digging deep and see what the fairy-godfather can do.

The 6min Tempo sucked the energy out of your legs, especially on the bends, but I was trying to run tall, trying to stop plodding along with the daintiness of an elephant. My contemporaries were within sight but I was struggling to stay with them. I couldn’t tell if they were getting faster or I was getting slower. It didn’t matter really as I was working as hard as I could. Nick was shouting helpful comments and keeping me focused. “Focus on his back, Mitch”. Right, this was just like a Parkrun, a very hot Parkrun. I could do this. Soon it was over and there were just the other set of 300m repeats to do. I broke it down and took them one at a time. It was hard, really head. The times were coming round, not much slower than the last sets, although the effort seemed greater. I kept pouring water over my head to try and cool down – everything was screaming, but we were a team and just like in Rowing, I wasn’t going to drop off and let myself or the others down. We’re in this together. Eventually, finish line number 5 arrived and we could rest. I was bent double but it had been work it. My Intervals in Liverpool had never felt like that, I think I’m going to have to up my game. The Garmin data was great, 5:44-5:49 pace for the Tempo sections and 4:40-5:00pace across all the intervals. Bear in mind that was the final-push pace that I sprinted across the line at Capenhurst only a few weeks ago and now I was doing repeated reps with it!

I love Nick’s track sessions, the grouping idea is great as you never feel like a donkey at the back, and we all got through it together, pushing each other on. Would like some of the PLS guys to join me on my Square intervals so we could try that.

But something more profound changed for me in the course of that session. It stopped being about ‘me’ and started being about ‘us’, the encouragement everyone was giving each other managed to melt away even the most hardened bits of my Ego. I’ll admit, I’ve got the Ego the size of a planet, and it has got me into trouble on more than one occasion. However, when you’re working that hard for that long, it gets stripped away, leaving just you and the next placing of the foot in front of you. If I can be so bold to speak for others, all the sessions we’ve done this week have challenged us all in many different ways. One of the most valuable lessons I’ve learnt on this camp is that whilst it’s important not to big yourself up too much, it’s also just as important not to put yourself down all the time. There is strength in acknowledging your achievements and remembering that there are people who would kill to be able to run at your speed, whatever that is. We’re all only one step away from an injury and being on the sidelines.

The rest of the day was spent, as usual, eating and recovering by the pool. It is amazing how quickly you can form a routine. For dinner, we had a lovely meal on the Terrace of the nearby Honey Farm, gossiping and toasting everyone’s health as the sunset. Beautiful, and ended up being a bit of a late night.

I have a (well earned!) rest day tomorrow, I’ve done my usual weekly mileage in 5 days. Plan to do as little as possible, resting before the final long runs on Saturday Morning. 6.30am start *gulp*.

Day 7

zzzzzzz...…nomnomnom…….zzzzzz…

No comments:

Post a Comment