Sunday, December 30, 2012

Race Report – Ribble Valley 10K




This race report may be a bit of a strange one. It needs a bit of a long preamble, then there’s not much to say about the race itself – we’ll give it a go anyway.

The last couple of weeks of training have been eye-opening in the sense that I realised a number of things I am getting right, and what I am getting wrong.

 
  1. Nick is not a mind reader (although he may be omnipresent)

I’d casually mentioned about the Ribble 10K to Nick, who was supportive as ever, but hadn’t confirmed it. So, when the plan came through and it wasn’t there, I should have contacted him to ask for advice on alterations. Did I? NO *faceplant* “oh, he’ll be busy before Xmas” “I can work it out” For HeavensSake Hawkins, that’s what you’ve got a coach for! The importance of a two-way relationship has really hit home.


  1. Running 3 long runs, eating like a Horse and trying an intervals session is not a good idea in Race Week.


Nick had given me a pretty tasty week of training to be fair, lots of UT2/CV work with some sharpening work on Thursday. I’d been really happy with how the runs had gone (even got out on Xmas day for an hour), and had kept properly hydrated through the week. Although was feeling a bit of indigestion post-Christmas. I got to Thursday and was due to do some intervals “Great, sharpening up before Sunday” I thought. On the warmup run down to where I ha planned to do them, my chest felt really tight and it was like a ball of something was stuck in my chest. I carried on thinking it might be just wind. The first effort was 6 mins an I got round, but on the second effort I thought I was going to have a heart attack, it was a horrible feeling. I stopped and assessed how I was feeling. Not good was the answer.  After a decent rest, I started to jog the 1.5 miles back to the car. About halfway back I felt my right Achilles ping sharply. “Oh shit”. I tried a little stretching and walked for about 800m. I was nearly back at the car and gingerly tried to run on it. I could, but it was slightly sore. I put it down to overuse over the previous few days and not enough stretching.
Friday and Saturday were spent getting as much rest as possible, I could feel it going up and down stairs and also when driving. But it was slowly getting better. Saturday evening was crunch time, I had to decide whether to race or not. I decided to see how the warm up went and give it a go. I’d promised to run with Martin and didn’t want to let him down.

 
  1. Weather can be a big factor of race day.

It was cold, it was wet and the wind was atrocious. Possibly good for experience racing in conditions like that but not pleasant at the time. No Steve meant I had no warm top on the start line and was shivering away in my vest – although could have been worse…


  1. Pre Race Toilet Stops are of vital importance.

If you think you may need to go, join the queue anyway just in case. There ended up being a 25 min wait for the 7 toilets (No urinals) for the 1500-odd runners. This meant I didn’t have enough time for a proper warm-up bfore the race and had to de-kit and sprint to the start to avoid missing it.


  1. If you do run with someone else, make sure you both know the plan and have compatible running styles.

I’d agreed to run with Martin as we were both aiming for sub-40. We found each other at the start and set off. After the first 1-2Km we were still pretty close, I’d gone just a little in front, but made sure I could still see Martin behind or to the side of me. After 3Km he went in front and stayed there, then started pulling away. We hadn’t actually discussed what would be the protocol in that situation. This wasn’t helped by being slightly weary of my Achilles – highlighting the importance f being ‘race fit’ or at least ‘fit to race’

It’s my own fault for not having that conversation. Well done to Martin though crossing the line in 39:57, a well judged race.

Looking back at the Garmin Stats, the first two miles were my slowest – I was too busy worrying about others and not concentrating on my own race. I naturally push on early on. I realise now that’s a style that works for me and I need to be using my strengths in every race.

  1. You can often tell how good a race you are having by your positioning in the last 2K

Are you passing vests in the last 2K or are people coming past you? It will tell you a lot about how you’ve raced the whole race. I found my last kick for the uphill and crossed the line in 40:48.

Not a PB and certainly not sub-40, but on the whole a lot better raced than at Wesham (and only 7 secs slower in those shitty, hilly conditions).

Once London is out of the way I’m looking forward to 5K and 10K work. I used to be fearful of them, but actually I quite like the pace and the fact you are actually racing them. I love the little tussles with people on the way.

Now the focus shifts to London, via Bath and Wilmslow.

2013 could be an interesting year.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting reading the toilet situation was not good at all but i did enjoy the cold and wet conditions. For what its worth whatever your natural strengths are it is always a good idea to have you first couple of km or miles as your slowest if you are to run a PB. Even splits is the ideal but failing that starting off at a rate you cannot maintain is asking for trouble. Good Luck with your next race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read Mitch, as you say, we didn't really work out communication & strategy beforehand, but even if we had - everyone has different race styles.

    You're giving me too much credit for pacing it well, the exact opposite. Aimed to do just under 4 min km but impossible with the course and conditions, 20 seconds off after 2km and 30-35 by 5-6km. Fed off the downs where possible but so tough, at nearly 5k pace, but somehow managed to up pace from 7k onwards to make back some lost time to have a very slim chance with 1km to go (manual splits on watch, so lap had to be under 3:45), but had to fight right to the line. Last km was fraction off my mile PB pace and bloody painful - I nearly puked after. So appearances can be deceptive!

    You'll get sub 40 this year I'm sure and a big marathon time. Going to be a great year for you !

    ReplyDelete