Thursday, April 16, 2015

Salvation Through Tuna

Of all the things to do it, I never thought a Tuna sandwich would be the one.

I was standing in the queue at the sandwich shop, waiting for my Ham and Cheese Savoury wrap. Not the unhealthiest lunch in the world, but it is not sausage and chips either.

Then in he walked.

I’m sure it is not just me that makes a snap judgement on someone on first sight, is it? Well this guy screamed “RUNNER”. Not only that but it was the markings of a good runner. He was about my height, close cropped hair, a ridiculously cool pair of shades on and a body fat percentage of about 5%. I think one of my thighs might have weighed more than he did. The ‘runner’ glided into the shop and went up to the counter.

“Tuna sandwich on wholemeal please.”

BAM!

It was light a lightning bolt came out of the sky and stuck me down there and then. The serving lady handed me my wrap which now felt like eating a lard butty with dripping chaser.

What had struck me was that whether that athletic looking man was a runner or not, at that precise moment he CHOSE to have that rather healthy Tuna sandwich over everything else the shop offered. When I had arrived at the counter I had exactly that same choice (although I was unlikely to choose Tuna blerrrggh).  I had chosen what I was craving, like some petulant child, not what would have given me the most benefit nutritionally.

It took me back to my first such “BAM” moment, back when I was 16 years old and weighing 17 ½ stone. I’d gone to London with a friend and we were walking around the Ted Baker shop in Carnaby Street. I’d gotten used to going into shops and coming out dejected as there was nothing in my (XXL) size, but at that moment I realised I was so unhappy with myself and my body that I have to change. So I subsequently joined Slimming World and 9 months and 3 ½ stone later I was in a much happier place.

Those of us who struggle with our weight and eating often liken it to a constant battle against the bulge, but is it? Really? Every moment of our lives we actually have free will and a choice of what to do. If I was to walk into that sandwich shop every day and order a wholemeal tuna sandwich, I would be making a correct choice, however it is only one of the many that I will make that day. Choosing whether to have cereal or bacon for breakfast, the biscuits that get passed round the office at 11am, the choice to raid the fridge on getting home from work, the finished wine bottle at the end of the evening. It’s so easy to make the wrong nutritional choices. It’s often easier to eat hastily prepared (or pre-prepared) shit, especially after a hard day at work. But we need to recognise that it is US that are actively choosing to do that. There is no great divine force pulling us towards the sausage rolls, just the inner caveman dragging us toward the quick gratification that they provide.

So what have I done about it? Well, I’ve tried to take some control back. I’m constantly aware that my food choices could be wiser. So I’ve enlisted a little help from the phone app MyFitnessPal. You log what you’ve eaten and drank and it shows you the nutritional make up for your day. I love it as it has stopped a lot of the mindless eating I was guiltily doing throughout the day.  It’s also very handy as you  an scan the barcodes of items to quckly get the info required. Much better than other apps I’ve seen in the past.

You also put in your exercise and it shows you how that affects your calorie intake for that day.

Yes, I’ve even logged my (occasional *cough*) glasses of wine on it.

Now I know it is not the answer to everything, but it’s a start. I’ve already been made aware after a few days that my balance of macronutrients isn’t quite right. I’ve got my mix of Fat and Protein percentages the wrong way round, could do with a bit less carb and a bit more Protein and that may explain why I struggle to recover well sometimes. I’m going to keep monitoring for a bit and see if I can make some good changes for the longer term.

I may never have the build of Tuna Sandwich Guy, but I can walk into the sandwich shop and order knowing I am making the best/right choice for me at that moment. What my body needs, not just what it wants.



No comments:

Post a Comment