Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In the zone

On Saturday I went to watch the Boys row at Runcorn Eights Head, a grueller of a 6Km Head Race. It brought back 'fond' memories of last years 4.5Km cat and mouse with Liverpool Uni. It was my first time back around boats and I must admit there was a small part of me that wondered if it would rekindle that quiet rowing fire that we oars people all have inside us.

But no, it was lovely to be back in that environment. Especially without the pressure of racing. In fact, you could sum it up as - I came, I watched, I ate cake (and met @alisonsculler who was doing a stellar job of herding the rowing cats).

Afterwards one of the Vets came over and in the course of the conversation found out I was running.

"What are you running?" he asked. "I assume middle distance, as you're not built for a marathon..."

and breathe....

During the course of the next couple of minutes, I found out that apparently I'm not a proper runner as I'm not doing a 1:18 half-marathon. *Sigh* Madness.
I can imagine what ‘you’ve just thought about that. Probably the same thoughts I had.
 I think the truth of it is, the person in question is so used to competition and beating other people. That’s his sole focus. Sad but true. Anyway, as you can imagine that conversation left me thrilled.

Over the next couple of days I have proved that I am VERY much a runner. Better than that, I'm a Squad Runner, part of an amazing team of Penny Lane Striders.

Sunday, was going to be a 15 miler.

After the events of Saturday, a very angry, probably slow and frustrating 15 miler. But I was persuaded to go on an early-doors LSR (7.30am eek). Turned out to the be the best decision of the week. The roads were quiet and the morning beautiful. For the first few miles we were carried along on waves of laughter and it made me realise how beneficial it can be running with a group. After about 6 miles, the work properly kicked in, the pace went from 8:00s creeping down till we were doing 7:20s. The chat got less, but the work was being put down. That wonderful glide of miles passing by, with the rhythm of your feet and breath for company.

It's one of the things I love most about my squad, when the work is being put in, there's silence. The wonderful silence that comes with graft. A deep understanding that everyone is working their hardest and fighting their own personal battle with te pavement.

In the end I clocked just over 13.5 miles, a lot faster then planned but a real confidence boost for the Liverpool Half. If I can do that in training, the previously distant goal I had set myself doesn't seem quite so far away.

I'm back in the zone, focused on the race coming on March 18th. The running zone is a great place to be - I've got all my squad with me, and we will win - each person their own personal race.

1 comment:

  1. Don't pay any attention to the Angry Glowstick Mitch, he's a worse runner than he is a rower. Twat

    ReplyDelete