Sunday, February 5, 2012

My name is Mitch...and I'm a recovering rower...

Before


It wasn't an easy decision to stop rowing. When you become involved in team sport, often its the team that carries you along. You suffer the ups and and the downs together, taking solace in the fact that there are others going through the same emotions as you. When someone leaves it feels like the end of a relationship, often with the same "It's not you, it's me" conversations.

In my case I have to admit that it was rowing that was the problem, a sport that demands so much and delivers so little. I remember watching Hugh Laurie on an American chat show describing rowing as "a miserable sport". It tolled a bell in my head because of course he is correct. For every second of joy experienced, there are hours of frustration and pain.

It's still the Sport of Kings (and Queens..more later). 

But this blog isn't here to talk about my rowing days (although they may pop up from time to time). I'm here to discuss there most venerable of past times. Running. AKA the art of putting one foot in front of the other and repeating ad infinitum, at speed. Not quite sure where this blog will go, may end up the ravings of a mad man. Only time will tell.

So about me.

After
I'm 30 years old, live in Liverpool with my partner Steve.

I'm an Electrical Engineer, Cook and running is a big part of my life.

The club I run for is Penny Lane Striders.

My Current PB's are:

5Km: 20:37 (PLS Lamplight 5K 2011)
10Km:  tbc 19th Feb
HM: 01:36:33 (Helsby Half 2012)
Marathon: 03:59:12 (London 2010)

I've done a load of other races as well, as my running career sandwiches my rowing one.
My current goals are:

5k: Sub 20
10: Sub 43
HM: Sub 90
M : Sub 3:30



No comments:

Post a Comment