Friday, May 10, 2013

Trot On



Apologies for the slightly protracted silence. To be honest, I’ve struggled to mentally process the events of London. Whilst being happy with a 30 minute PB, the fact I didn’t get my intended goal of 3:15 hit me harder than it should have.  There we’re lots of reasons but the whole thing could probably be summed as “great day, terrible race”.

 I‘m not here to dwell on that. These races come and go, the only thing you can really do is work out what went well, what went wrong and what you can do to improve for next time. Anyway, there’s a summer of speed work before the preparations begin for the Autumn. Yes, I’ve signed up for another Marathon. Favourite of my coach Nick, Steve and myself will be having a little European jaunt to Frankfurt at the end of October. I’m quite looking forward to it actually. There’s a little group of us going who I think are of roughly a similar speed. That will help motivation if nothing else. Should be a good night afterwards as well :D But I’m not going just for that!

This week has also marked a welcome return to normal training patterns, newly kitted out in shiny white and correctly-sized shoes. I’ve noticed a marked improvement in the foot trouble I’ve been having for the last few weeks. I think it’s going to be a long process to rid myself completely of pain, but I’m definitely heading in the right direction.

I’ve had a couple of really good sessions already this week. The 5x5mins, 90sec recovery threshold session on Tuesday was a proper baptism of fire! The heat was already on with the car temperature reading 23 degrees! I worked hard at that session, but also made an effort to keep my concentration on the job at hand. Believe me, I can find it quite hard at times. I made a pact with myself that even if the reps were getting really tough I wasn’t going to let it beat me and would dig in. I just wanted to know that when the question was being asked “Can I do this?” I would be able to answer emphatically on my own terms “Yes, carry on”. Yes, it’s going to hurt but I’m better than the hurt. Trot On. 

If I can get that right at Frankfurt – I’ll achieve my goals

Have been pleased with the speed in my legs after all that marathon training. It’s going to be a good summer.

I correct myself.

I’m going to make it a good summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment