Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Early Bird



[IMG] As mentioned last week, I’ve switched my easy runs to the morning wherever possible. In the past, I’ve had a tendency to see “45min recovery run” in my plan and blast round the parks at warp speed after work. This is neither sensible nor helping my running in the long term. By switching the run to the morning, I’m allowing extra recovery time before the next key session and also freeing up at least two evenings a week, as well as making sure the pace is correct  (there’s no way I’m blasting anything first thing in the morning). 

 A down side is that on weeks where I have double-run days, I’m getting up at 6am at least four mornings a week, but in reality that’s only 30mins earlier than usual. Not the end of the world

To suddenly have free evenings without running is very strange but most welcome. You sit on the couch thinking “there’s something I should be doing”. I like it so far, although I’m very conscious that this is easiest time of year to do it. The weather is warming up, the mornings are light and the conditions generally pleasant. Project forward six months when it’s pitch-dark, bitterly cold and rubbish, it’s going to be a bit more of a challenge. But we’ll come to that in due course. Hopefully by then it will be a habit.

So do you run with the Lark? Or does the thought fill you with dread and horror?
 
 I can recommend it, it is a big change from what I’m used to, but its serving me well. I’ve got a night off tonight, might go out for dinner. Fancy that.

1 comment:

  1. Love running early in the summer, while the streets are clear, and you can hear birdsong over traffic noise!

    ReplyDelete