Monday, July 1, 2013

Amber Warning



Yes, I’ve been away for a while. The truth is that I have written a number of blog articles over the past few weeks, but they’ve all been so bloody miserable I’ve refused to post them! I didn’t want to read them, so no one else would!

The last few weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind of various non-running related stuff occurring, a trip abroad, a bout of illness and all manner of other happenings. Still, all done now and firmly in the midst of summer training. I’ve got the 5 miler in the Olympic Park coming up in a couple of weeks (not to mention a Birthday Weekend in Birmingham to watch the World Champ Trials) as well as Thunder Run at the end of the month.  After that, Frankfurt training starts – no rest for the wicked!

After a post-London wobble, training is going well. Had a good, honest chat with my coach Nick in the Algarve (will write a summary post of that camp) and have got a good set of targets for the coming year. My top end speed has definitely increased recently. If anything, over the next few weeks I need to reign it in a bit so that I can capitalise on the endurance part of maintaining that speed. I’ve found that at recent parkuns, actually if I’d dropped a few seconds per mile I would have been much more comfortable and still got a PB. As it turned out I got to 3K and detonated spectacularly.

My Half-Yearly Stats are as follows:

Number of Sessions: 150
Number of Hours Trained: 138
Number of Miles Covered: 1052
Estimated Calories Burnt: 138,000 (Crikey, that’s a lot of cake)

Looks Like I’m on course to cover 2000 miles for the year. Happy with that, as I’ve had about 4 weeks off this year with injury and other nonsense. I’ve struggled a bit at times this year, I hoping that its ‘character-building’ and will help my running in the long term.

--
 
After a visit to APH last night, I’ve come to a bit of a conclusion. Every time I drink lager, I never really seem to enjoy it.  So I’m going to stop.

It just seems like gassy, calorie-laden toilet water. You can’t enjoy the experience like you can with a nice glass of wine or dram of whisky.  So I have drunk my final drop of the yellow stuff, at least until after Frankfurt. It’s not a massive change, as I didn’t drink it often anyway, but it’s a little change to make life a bit more pleasurable.
Until Next Time

No comments:

Post a Comment