Sunday, February 9, 2014

Enjoy The Silence


Hi Folks,

Things have been a bit quiet at The Trial of Miles. That was (partly) a conscious decision on my part. 

I’ve got a new job at work, a much desired step-up the ladder, but it does mean I now have a 45 mile commute each way on most days, shrinking my free time somewhat. Also, after Frankfurt I took a long hard look at myself and realised there are certain aspects of my life that I need to change.

 A few months without the rentless push that I’ve subjected myself (and everyone else around me) to for the last few years. I love training and striving, but just as we take a recovery week after a period of hard graft, by brain needed a rest.
“What are you training for?” people would ask. “Nothing in particular…” I reply. Of course, they don’t believe me, but that’s the truth. 

Also, as discussed in my last post, you can get a bit sick of having running in your face ALL THE BLOODY TIME. It has been nice to take a step back. In fact, it’s made me realise how beneficial it is to have periods of specific things to train for. But also, you need recharge time.

I’ve also decided that I have really got to stop beating myself over every wobble or perceived event that hasn’t gone to plan. I have high expectations of myself, but that shouldn’t mean that I can’t cut myself some slack on occasion. Shit happens, that’s life. I’m not helping myself and I’m making life a misery for others.

 Frankfurt was a bit of a turning point for me on that score. I hadn’t quite got the time I was after, but there wasn’t a thing that I could have done differently to alter the result. I left it all out there.

I think we can be guilty of getting so hung up on times and numbers that we can forget the real benefits of running - Doing something healthy that you enjoy, preferably with your friends at the same time. 

A couple of other positive changes this year include:

Press Up Challenge (AKA #PUC2014) – The slab of Rowing Awesomeness that is Pete Reed has challenged everyone to do one more press up each day for the whole of 2014, no slacking. My upper body strength has always been abysmal so this is a good challenge for me.

Moving house – in itself quite stressful, but actually its lovely to have something else to worry about that isn’t running.

Acknowledging that what I do is good enough. Not to say I can’t get better, but for now it’s good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment