Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I Am Legend



 It was an unplanned squad run that prompted this post.

I’d not run for a few days due to a combination of house-hunting and a nasty case of sinusitis. But last night I found myself at the club without a clue and ended up doing the whole-club which we now do once a month.

The session itself consists of laps of the square, just over 800m, meaning about a three minute effort for me. This was countered with the equivalent effort as someone else took their turn. We were supposed to split up into pairs, but I hate that – it feels like school PE, so I tagged along with another pair as a threesome meaning I was running with someone of equal ability which made for great racing.

The amount of discomfort I was feeling was a good measure of the fact that I was working hard, and my times were pleasingly consistent. I also found the benefit of the jog recovery, as my legs felt much better without all the lactate floating round them.


Anyhew, the point of this post was a conversation we had on the way down to the session. It seems that my training from Nick has taken on a life-force of its own. Some of the people at the club seem to talk about the sessions in a strange way, as if I’m asked to scale tall buildings, rescue kittens and give Mo and Galen a run for their money.

Of course, in reality my sessions are not vastly different to the ones run by the squad. The mix of efforts may be different, but there are only so many ways you can dress up a 4x 1mile or a 5x1200m session. I love the focus that my training gives me, and the fact I can alter things depending on what life throws in my direction (when I remember to tell Nick).

In the past, I suppose I have been slightly guilty of fostering this view. I’m a naturally private person and in some ways I’m quite protective of my training, well I’m the one paying for it. But I can never marry up that view with the one that sessions are always much more fun with others there. 

A while ago, for a number of reasons, I set my Garmin Connect profile to Private. However, I’ve had another think and decided this is unnecessary. I’ve love to connect with other runners so if you fancy sharing training, look me up here:





No comments:

Post a Comment